For some of our students, the 2 snacks a day we provide through our program are their only meal throughout the long school day, something that is surprising to many. But there are several reasons why
- Some families struggle economically yet their children do not qualify for free lunches
- Some parents and students are too embarrassed to apply for the free or reduced lunch programs
- And some parents, unfortunately, are trying to remain hidden from the government so they decline the free/reduced lunches program
- Others simply will not take the time to apply
But we have to keep our kiddos going! We call these snacks ‘BRAIN FOOD’:
- Peanut butter crackers
- Mixed nuts
- Snack crackers
- GoldFish snacks
- Apple sauce
- Mac-n-cheese (microwavable)
- Other ready-meals & singles
- Trail mix
- Dried fruit
- Coffee/cups/creamer (we award coffees as achievement incentives often)
- Oatmeal singles
- Single packaged bowls of cereal
- Granola bars
Pretty much any items that do not have to be refrigerated and are easy to grab and go for these busy kids!
In addition to school supplies and snacks, we have a tremendous need for hygiene products such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, feminine products, soap, shampoos, and more.
You can check out Mentors Care’s Wish List on Amazon.com HERE for a more detailed list. And while you’re at the site, remember that Amazon will ship the items to us directly AND give back to Mentors Care a small percentage of their profits.
We sincerely appreciate your consideration!
-Mentors Care Team